Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Surviving Winter in the Northeast

So we are all used to winters in Upstate New York, but that definitely doesn’t mean we have to like winter (unless of course you are that skier/snowboarder who prays for snow). I’ve lived in Upstate New York my whole life and each year I hate winter more and more. The last few years have been very mild, so it makes this year’s winter seem that much worse. With all the ice, snow, -and 20 temps comes frozen water, power outages, dangerous roads, and if you have farm animals- more work. I’ve been there and let me tell you it sucks.

Snow = Lots of hours out in the cold shoveling yourself out 

Breaking frozen water tubs = frozen, cold wet gloves

Haying horses = trekking through deep snow soaking you from the knees down; or even worse—having to walk across ice with bale in hand praying stay on your feet.

-20 temps = tons of layers and your still cold and practically immobile.

Here’s how I survive Winters in the Northeast:

Carhartt. It’s the best investment I’ve ever made. I have a pair of bibs and a nice warm jacket with the quilted lining. If I’m outside doing chores, riding, or shoveling, I’ve got them on. They’re basically snowsuits for grown-ups and a must have in the Northeast. Bonus—they come in a lot of different colors for the die-hard fashionistas. You really don’t have to sacrifice warmth for looks.   

Long Underwear. Invest in some. I’ve got a lightweight, mid-weight, and heavyweight set so I’m covered no matter what the temperature is outside. They keep you warm without the additional bulk, making them great to throw on under a pair of jeans. If you aren’t into the Eskimo look then these are essential. 

Gloves. Lots of Gloves. I like to buy some thinner, form fitting thermal gloves and then a waterproof looser fitting glove and layer them. That way when I go and break water tubs and the “waterproof” layer gets wet I can pull them off, throw them by the woodstove and still have some protection so my hands don’t freeze as I continue the rest of my outdoor chores. 

Boots.   And don’t be cheap about it. If you don’t want your toes to freeze or feet to get soaked, invest in a good pair of boots. The plus side is they will last more than one season so the price tag really is worth it. I personally rock the Muck boots. The Arctic Boots are rated to -40F. Plus they are tall enough that snow stays out of them and they have great traction. If you are into the logger type boots and need some toe protection, go with a composite toe not a steel toe. Composite toes are made for cold temperatures. No matter how insulated steel toe boots are, they still seem to freeze your toes off. And you better make sure the boots are waterproof and come with some insulation. Carolina Boot Company makes a great waterproof insulated composite toe boot. (Hint, if you find a pair of boots you love that aren’t waterproof, by some waterproofing spray and waterproof it yourself).


If you have farm animals like I do, keeping them warm and healthy in the winter can be challenging. Count on feeding extra during the winter months. They spend more energy heating themselves so feeding them more only makes sense. Grain is a great way to increase their caloric intake. Walker’s has an extensive line of Nutrena Feeds for just about every farm animal in various life stages, listed here on our website. Also, access to water at all times is important so if your setup allows, a heated water bucket or a water heater for your water tubs is a great idea. We carry tons of different makes and models at Walker’s, so stop in or give us a call and our staff can help you determine the right heater for you.

How about you all? What are your tips for surviving winters in the Northeast?

No comments:

Post a Comment